Monday, October 6, 2008

Death Note -- The movie!

The live action film adaptation of Death Note was released in Japan in 2006. After I finished reading the manga series, I was anxious to see the film, and finally got my chance this past weekend. Having heard mixed reviews (especially concerning the appearance of Ryuk), I was unsure of what to expect. Well I can honestly say I was hooked to my television the entire time! I watched it alone and at night, which probably wasn't the best idea, but I found myself impressed by both the acting and storyline. Though there were some major changes from the manga, none seemed to subtract from the original story and concept in any way. Light as a law student rather than a high school student was a twist that actually helped to emphasize the moral questions that Death Note poses.
I have always found film adaptations of manga and comic books particularly interesting. Not only must a director and screenwriter deal with adapting the script, they must also deal with the vision of the artist, and what is being expressed in each panel. As we've been learning in class with our breakdowns, each panel can be thought of as a separate scene. Ryuk so much resembled the manga character, and I did not find myself thrown off by his animation at all. Considering that much of Death Note is narration and inner conversation, I thought the filmakers did an excellent job translating the turmoil to the big screen.
Death Note was hugely successful in Japan, and spawned a spin off film called L: Change the WorLd. I am curious to see this film as well, since it focuses on the life of L, and is not based off of any manga. It was just released this year in Japan, so hopefully we will be seeing it stateside sometime soon.
I am really looking forward to seeing the second part of the film next Thursday. Perhaps I will break out the eyeliner and white tee and dress as L. I imagine Death Note II: The Last Name is even darker considering what happens in the manga, but...my lips are sealed!

1 comment:

calightning1 said...

Sharon,

Excellent summary! I am glad you
liked the film. I did not know if one could like the film on DVD, as the film in theaters was larger than life.

Cynthia